Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Unknown

My last bone marrow aspiration showed elevated blast count from 2% to 5% meaning the first significant increase in over a year. Normal range is from 0 to 5% so I am happy to remain in the normal range but concerned there may be an upward trend pushing me back into the difficulties of the disease. Yesterday's blood test results were mixed with continued downward trending white cells, stable platelets and adequate but low red cells. 

Our medical team is also concerned but optimistic that what is happening is a condition my doctor called Gilbert's syndrome or UGT1A1 polymorphism. I am one of the study patients who may be having prolonged exposure to the experimental drug, and may be having some myelosuppression. Since my counts are adequate, they will keep about the same dose level for now and continue to monitor. If I have continued reduced blood counts he may talk with the drug company about reducing the dose I am taking.

No comments:

Post a Comment