Friday, February 7, 2014

Annual Wellness Physical December 2nd 2013

My journey started long before I went to see Dr. Headley on December 2nd of  last year (2013) for my annual wellness physical examination. Since that is a long story, I'll post about the ride I've been on at a later time. Sufficed to say, I was feeling good with no real major pains, hurts or noticeable new issues prior to December.

In fact, I was walking 3 to 5 miles per day and occasionally did 10 miles or more.  Since the MS Blues Marathon was a month away I began training for the Half Marathon part of the event. That's only 13.1 miles which I had walked on three or more occasions but never in a competitive event. So my goal was to walk 5, 6, 7 ...miles per day until I reached 15 miles (adding a mile a day until I reached my goal of 15).

I had last been in a 5K event in early November doing ok time wise by my standards. It was a rather cool morning (down right cold) so I struggled with my breathing in the first few kilometers. COPD was my main ongoing health issue so breathing is critical to good exercise like this. After my lungs got adjusted to the cold air and a few puffs on my rescue inhaler I did fine.

As the weather began to get more wet and cold throughout November I cut back on my daily walks to   about 4 days a week on average. I hoped to do the above training in Decmber so as to start off 2014 in good walking condition.

So Dr. Headley found a urinary infection easily treated by 10 day's of antibiotics. My blood counts were a bit lower than normal but not too serious. He told me to come back in 2 weeks for a follow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment