Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Grace

Grace is that power granted one who does not deserve it. The grace of the Christian Faith, the "amazing grace" we sing about and the theology of grace puts it more in the definition of the life given us in Christ that we do not deserve. It is given us not because of what we have done to deserve it. Rather it was promised to us by God and freely granted. Bonhoeffer described it in much more details in his famous book "The Cost of Discipleship". He came up with the notions of cheap grace vs costly grace. Many of his writings are very difficult to read, not because of how he says it but because of what he says. Like Christ, he calls us to a life of discipleship, not as a means to an end but as the end to the means. We are expected to, required to live according to Christ because we are saved from even death and given eternal life. When we freely accept this grace but do not live a live worthy of that calling, we cheapen it. To live in Christ is costly and to that end we are his people, you and I.

Recently my mortal life was extended, once again. Honestly, I never thought I would survive more than a year with my condition as serious as it was. We were told I had between six and twelve months without treatment. After some very difficult treatment times with unsuccessful results things were looking very bleak. I was heading for a stem cell transplant or I would likely die in a few months. I even feared the procedure and it's heavy doses of chemotherapy would do me in anyway. What a change the past five months have been under the experimental drug we know as AG-221. An amazing grace of life when I deserve much less than most people has happened to me. If that doesn't make your skin crawl, it sure does for me. If you are not prone to believe then call it creepy. But if you believe in miracles you know that God has given me new life.

So this reflection ends with a new beginning. What is God calling me to do now? What does he expect us to be doing with the rest of our lives? More importantly, will we be like Joanah or will we do what he calls us to do? Will I go where I want to go, not where he wants me to be?

Prayer:  Father God.  Please call me to serve you wherever you need me the most.  Open my heart to you and clear my ears.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment